Saturday, May 10, 2014

Joy in Spring Flowers

Today was a great precursor to Mother's Day.  Although I worked this morning, my girls were with me.  We shopped for flowers together, enjoyed some ice cream, then took a break.  After our break, the girls were ready to plant. I find joy in their eagerness to help, and they are old enough now to be genuinely helpful.  In fact, they had the van unloaded before I even got outside!
 
Yes, Callie managed to get the soil out by herself...All that swimming :)
 

Madelyn was quite excited out the selection of flowers and studied each label to determine if the plant was better in the sun or the shade.
 I find joy in being able to pass down a love for flowers and gardening that I grew to appreciate as a child in my mother, who learned from her mom, who I'm sure learned from her mom.  Spring is so refreshing and the splashes of color around my yard throughout the summer make me pause and smile, and then remember I should probably give them some water.  And when I water them, I remember helping (doing my chore) water the beautiful flower gardens my mom expanded every year with more beauty and care.
Getting the soil ready for our first pot of the afternoon.
 I find joy in the day working together in the warm sun, arranging beauty, and teaching my girls how to nurture and care for a beautiful part of God's creation.  
 *Disclaimer...My mother's flower pots and gardens were small works of garden art with contrasts of color, height, and texture.  I'm happy getting some height difference and color variation.

The novelty of putting pots together waned, and the swingset in close proximity made for better entertainment.  As I toiled in the soil I found joy in my labor as the girls giggled together and my college age neighbor's music drifted my way, playing songs from my college days.  What a great day!

What do you do when one swing is occupied by your doll?
Both use the same swing, of course!

 To end our afternoon, Jason came home after being gone a couple days planting out of town.  We were glad to have him back again.  The girls were especially glad when Dad suggested bringing Mom to Dairy Queen for Mother's Day and gave them both money so they could "take mom out and pay." Madelyn was quick to agree only if Dad was coming too, since we had already had ice cream once today and he had not. 

The day ended by snuggling in and watching a movie together.  The treasured early bedtime was discarded for a night of family togetherness.  I am happy mom.

No comments: