This is a close up of Half Dome. If you see the very edge on the left side of the picture, that is where I will stand in two days. Wait till you see how we get up there.
Here is our campsite on Sunday night on North Dome. We set up camp right on the rocks again, had a fine supper of dehydrated Mac and Cheese and finished it off with some great Raspberry crumble (again, dehydrated). If you ever have the chance to try a Mountain house dehydrated meal Karen and I both give our recommendation. If there are questions in preparation Karen, myself, and Michelle D. can provide a pictorial illustration:) On the way down from North Dome we took a short, but steep, hike to Indian point. Karen and I liked it because it reminded us of the arches we had seen in Arches National Park a couple years ago. We highly recommend that park as well.
It was Tuesday morning and Brian and I were supposed to get up at 5 (yes am) so that we could hit the trail by 5:30. We left at 5:45 (we hit the snooze a little bit) and hiked at at a good clip for several miles. A note to those hiking Half Dome in the future -- bring a map. The park service does a good job marking the trail but they forget to mark the short cuts. This is why Brian and and I hiked and extra 4 miles that day!
We pushed hard all morning and the first 7 miles are fairly easy - a typical hike. I should mention that the valley is at 4000 feet above sea level and Half Dome is around 8600 feet. So yes, we climbed all morning. We made it up the narrow, rocky switchback trail that led to the base of "The Dome". Then we finally saw what we had heard so much about. The cables are the only way to get up Half Dome. The park service puts these steel cables in and you basically pull yourself up with the cables. It is hard to picture how steep this is but you have to pull yourself up on the cables as your feet slide right out from under you. I am happy that I have no fear of heights! Time to climb - see you at the top!

No comments:
Post a Comment