Friday, August 15, 2008

Unexpected

I think that God sometimes likes to really make us think and remind us who is in control of our lives. I pictured my next few months being a transition away from teaching. Volleyball started this week and I am enjoying being around my students/players again. It has been strange to be at DMCS but not getting a classroom ready to start the school year. Yesterday I met with the teachers who took my position and will be teaching the math this year. I was planning on enjoying coaching and not teaching and being at home with Madelyn during the day.

God had other plans.
On Sunday Jason saw in the church bulletin that Ames Christian School needed a part-time 7th and 8th grade math and science teacher. I anticipated trying to find a part time job sometime after volleyball was finished, but I certainly wasn't planning on anything soon. Our of curiosity I stopped by the school to find out how part time this position was. To make a long story short...God has called me to serve at Ames Christian this year. I will be teaching three class periods each morning at Ames Christian. I'm surprisingly excited about teaching only 7 kids (total) math and earth science. I will be finished with my responsibilities by 10:30 each morning, so I will still have much of the day with Madelyn. My reservation are/were 1) I still need to find childcare for Madelyn for each morning 2) It was going to be too crazy to jump into teaching by Tuesday and coach volleyball in Des Moines...yet that was my first obligation. I am still working on finding day care, but God provided a long term sub to start the school year for Ames Christian. I won't start until October. Most of my volleyball season will be finished by then and Madelyn will be over 3 months old, which I will feel much more comfortable leaving her each morning.

So....that is the latest in my life... I guess I love teaching too much to give it up yet :)

4 comments:

Asher Fanner said...

That is so awesome!! And perfect for you...as you described what you wanted! And the sub till v-ball is over! That is awesome, awesome, awesome!!

Yeah, I met Mrs. Veenstra on Wednesday, just to say I would be her TA so she would know why I was in her class during 4th period on the first day! It is so weird going in there...it's all set up differently, but there are still similarities! And of course, the year you leave teaching is the year you get new computers!!

Anyway, I'm so happy that God made that work out...I'm sure that you'll find a great child care for Madelyn...I'll be praying!

Miss you and see you sometime!

The Beckering clan said...

Wow! Isn't it amazing how things can change so quickly? It really seems to be working perfectly with the sub until most of vb is over! Do you have childcare already for vb? Blessings to you with this new deminsion in your life!

Rachel said...

Sounds perfect for you :). I am sure God will provide the childcare too! Wish I was still there...I would watch Madelyn in the AMs for you!

Rachelle said...

God's plans are mysterious sometimes! I know you are such a great teacher and mom. You will manage it just fine. I think that sounds pretty exciting for you!