For those of you who have children who are also nearing age 2 or have endured this stage, especially if you have a strong willed, independent child, we are now in that boat...Pray for us :)
Challenge 1: "NO" Maddy is able to find more ways than I knew possible to use this word, each one with it's own intonation.
- "Maddy, it is time to eat." "NO."
- "Maddy, that is naughty." "Na-No."
- "Maddy time to go to bed" "No. No. No."
- "Madelyn come here." no response
- "Maddy may Callie have that toy? "No!" (said as she swipes the toy behind her back)
- "Maddy do you have your paci?" "No." (said teasingly with it hanging from her mouth)
I remember distinctly when "no" became more than an answer to a question, but a display of her own opinion and independence. This was a sad day.
Challenge 2: Bed time
She did a great job starting off in her big girl bed and following the routines of bedtime. Unfortunately since the discovery that she can get out of bed, her bedroom door not latching, and that she can climb the gate, bedtime has been a trial. We reached our breaking point this weekend as she was up for the 10th time and it was nearing 10pm. Jason has demonstrated an amazing amount of patience as he repeatedly puts her back in bed each night. We refuse to allow her back in her crib because Callie needs it, so out came the Pack-n-Play. I feel badly putting her in the Pack-n-Play as she is so tall now she can't stretch out, but the kid needs to know we are not going to chase her for an hour after bedtime or nap time. I thought it would be a deterrent to her getting out of bed, yet the last two nights she has begged to go in the Pack-n-Play to sleep instead of her bed. Sigh. (On a side note...I am glad she doesn't look at the Pack-n-Play as punishment because we still need it traveling.) So for now, I guess we will continue letting her fall asleep in the Pack-n-Play then move her to her big girl bed once she is asleep.
Speaking of sleep, I will stop venting and get some sleep myself so I have energy to enjoy the enthusiasm with which Madelyn enjoys life.
1 comment:
So sorry to hear of your frustrations, but as any Grandma would remind you, "This too will pass" - hang in there!
Post a Comment