1) Spanish is the primary language of the Chilean people. It is unlike any Spanish I've heard before. It is extremely difficult to hear where words start and where they end...and lots of "r" rolling. Jason's tutor has confirmed the difficulty of understanding Chilean Spanish.
2) I tend to stand out in the Spanish Speaking countries I've been to. Primarily, because I am 6 foot 2 inch lady with fair skin. Here though, there is a significant Italian heritage, not Mexican or Spanish, so I actually don't stand out nearly as much...until I talk. The "looks" are very diverse.
3)Shoes are very important to woman! I was very clearly in the minority of those that chose shoes for comfort not for looks. Apparently traveling in stilettoes or other high heal or fashionable shoes is a necessity. Jason confirmed this suspicion as has the number of shoe stores I've come across. I may quite possibly have been the only one going through customs that day with tennis shoes.
4) Intersections are congested with cars and people selling things. Don't go to the super market for your fresh fruit, just stop at a stop light and let the street sales begin. Have your raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc, delivered right to your car before the next light. Need some entertainment while you wait in traffic, just watch the jugglers, baton twirlers, and musicians...don't forget to tip them.
5) The best fruit really is found by street vendors. The Chilean gov't exports a huge percentages of their fresh produce. The Chilean grocery stores basically carry the "left overs" that didn't make the quality check for export. Local "farmers" markets or people selling car to car are your best bet at getting good produce. (The blueberries were excellent!)
6) In brief a few other things
- Lady's swimming suits are more like thongs and cover little of the rear end.
- In Santiago, we saw few obese people. Walking, biking, manual labor and general health consciousness are all cultural factors.
- We walk every where we can. Parking and driving is a pain because of the amount of traffic. Callie isn't sure of this practice and begs for a taxi ride. Take a pack back for groceries and only buy what you need for a day or two.
- We haven't been brave enough to attempt the bus system...but it goes about everywhere in the country...both urban and country. "Paradas"-bus stops-are everywhere!
- Beverages are rarely served with ice. They may be cold if they've been refrigerated, but they are never really that cold. We have been safe to drink the tap water, but are generally served water in a bottle at a restaurant.
No comments:
Post a Comment