Jason has often said he married two different women. The teacher Karen and the summer Karen. The teacher Karen is focused, driven, dedicated, and always busy (rarely home). The summer Karen, which is his favorite, is more laid back, energetic, productive, and a lot more fun (apparently).
The other day he declared "The summer Karen is back!" To which I sadly responded, "Did you not like the teacher Karen?" He attempted to defend himself with "It's not that I don't like teacher Karen; I just like summer Karen better."
Summer Karen IS back. I have enjoyed the flexibility in my schedule and the ability to choose how I want to spend my day. Mornings are relaxing and somewhat unproductive, but very enjoyable. I make my list of things I want to accomplish during the rest of the day and enjoy checking off projects that have needed to be done all school year. The garden and my flowers often call my name and it is not uncommon for me to run around my yard like a crazy lady chasing away rabbits who find my plants a tasty treat.
The thing that is missing during the summer is people. I am a people person, an extravert. Despite a brief early morning departure conversation with Jason, it is not uncommon for me to go ALL day without talking to anyone. After spending 190 days surrounded by teachers and 120 extremely social junior high students, my days are very, very quiet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am glad you are enjoying your summer--you work so hard during the year, there needs to be a "summer Karen!". Call me sometime if you are bored! (I used to be pretty much usually available, though now we'll see with the job starting...)
Seriously, though, it has been a big adjustment for me over the last year too to go from being with people most of the day to alone with my thoughts most of the day! It can definitely be a long, loney day! Ryan usually calls me once or twice to break it up, and we try to eat lunch together once a week (either at home or out). Maybe when Jason isn't working in the fields, you guys can have lunch once in awhile.
Post a Comment