Thursday, July 26, 2007

One Year Anniversary

I was reading my journal from last summer and realized that this past weekend was the one year anniversary of the removal of my skin cancer. Although the procedure was fairly painless and healed very well, I was remembering the initial fear in the word cancer. No one ever wants to hear that they have cancer. I also recall the relief in hearing the words from the doctor "We got it all." The nurse made me laugh as they were stitching me up and annouced that "the incision looks great!", as I peered in the mirror thinking that was the most hideous, gross appearing cut on my face and certainly didn't want to see something that didn't look great.
All in all, I am thankful for the prayer support, the complete healing, and the minimal scarring. I am thankful for technology that makes the MOHS procedure a successful cure for basal cell carcinomas and that I can still say I am cancer free. My battle was easy compared to many who have and are still fighting their battles with cancer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can tell that life must be rough in Ames!!! I just don't remember seeing that nice of beach in Iowa. I am also glad to hear about the year anniversary of the cancer scare.

I am happy to say that i will be moving into "your" state and my "new manor" at the end of November.

Have a great Labor day weekend.