Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shakes and Piggy Banks

I find when I am pregnant I don't crave many things, but chocolate shakes are one of them. Madelyn seems to share my enjoyment of shakes. Spoon feeding her the ice cream is not good enough, she wants to do it herself.

"Mmmmm, this is even better through the straw!"

"Mom, you rock for sharing your shake with me! It's soooo good."

It is amazing to me how much Madelyn has learned in the last two weeks. Maybe I am extra sensitive to her growth and change since Jason is gone. She is really figuring out how things work. Since she doesn't say many words, she has taken to "showing us" what she wants. For example, my volleyball babysitter has a piano. Madelyn loves to play the piano, but mostly enjoys duets. She will take the other person's hand and place it on the piano. If they remove their hand, she grabs it and puts it back on the piano.

Her fine motor skills seem to be progressing now as well. Jason tried to teach her how to put coins in her piggy bank before he left. We had a whole pile we put in today. What is most interesting to me is that she seems to struggle more with her right hand to accomplish fine motor skill tasks. She often tries something with her right hand, then quickly switches to her left because it is easier and fast.

"I'm trying Mom, but I just can't get a good grip of this quarter.""This is serious business. I've got it now; just use my left hand and in it goes!"

1 comment:

Kurtis & Lisa said...

I remember Erica at that age up until this summer did not like ice cream unless she could use a straw. We shared many malts last summer. :)
Now that Maddy knows where money goes don't be suprised when it starts disappearing from around the house!