Earlier this week I was lying in bed enjoying a quiet morning. I began reflecting on God's faithfulness. I could hear Madelyn breathing deeply in her sleep over the monitor and was watching my belly bounce with new life. God is good. I reflected on the two years before Madelyn was born and how God brought us through the frustrations of longing for a child, yet asking us to wait; the sadness of losing a child to a miscarriage, then the ensuing joy of Madelyn's birth.
I reflected on the joys and challenges of those early days as I was sleep deprived but so overwhelmed with deep peace and joy with finally being blessed with a child. Even though she doused us in spit up after every feeding and screamed with reflux pain and fought through diaper changes (and still does), I was (am) so grateful for God's answer to prayer.
I reflected on the change to my identify and my purpose as I redefined myself as a wife, teacher, coach, and now mother. My purpose grew, yet I lost more of "me." There were challenges in figuring out how to balance my role as caregiver with "my" time to find purpose and fulfillment in the things I loved before becoming a mom. I think this is a balancing act that most mothers struggle to maintain.
I reflected that my role has changed even more now in Macomb as I don't have the roles of teacher and coach. Am I ready to embrace this focused purpose with how God wants me to use the time he's given me with my children?
My time of reflection ended with a powerful feeling of God's abundant answer to our prayers. Not only did he bless us with Madelyn, but a second child. Even though there are tough days ahead when we are once again sleep deprived and trying to find balance. I know there will be moments of great peace and joy. As we make final preparation for the addition to our home and heart, I am humbled by God's goodness. Why did God allow us to have children, yet other godly couples still wait for their opportunity to be parents? God has offered us an opportunity to love and nurture two of his children. We are blessed. Praise the Lord.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very well said, Karen. I can really relate to the identity change thing. I still struggle with that. So excited for you in having child #2 come along. Love Madilyn's pictures. What a cutie!!
Rachelle
It is good to hear of God's faithfulness in others lives- a testament to His work all around. Thanks for being willing to share. Can't wait for news of the latest De Bruin!
Praise the Lord is right! I'm so happy for you as you prepare for the birth of baby #2
Jennifer
Post a Comment