Friday, February 22, 2008

Parent Teacher Conferences

This week I survived my final round of parent teacher conferences for the year...(maybe for a long time). I always enjoy conferences as a time to connect with parents, encourage their children to grow in certain areas, and praise their strengths.
This year I decided to make a list of common questions that parents asked at conferences this week. Note that few are related to the purpose of the conference :)
  • When is the baby due?
  • How are you feeling?
  • Are you coming back?
  • Do you know the gender?
  • Can we drive our child to Ames so you can tutor them next year?
  • I didn't know you were pregnant (our child doesn't tell us anything)...How far along are you?
  • Can't you come back one more year until my child is finished with Jr. High?

With five minutes remaining in the conferences, came the questions that actually pertained directly to their child's behavior, academic progress, getting help after should and what class should be taken next year.

After 72 conferences in 3 days, I always learn a lot.

  • Genetics, genetics, genetics!
  • Adolescent kids are puzzles that even parents have trouble putting together sometimes.
  • Surprise at how many kids are bribed to get "good grades."
  • Students can put a lot of nice goals on paper that never result in change.
  • Few parents are surprised by the report I give on their child. They know the weaknesses and strengths of their child...most of the time.

I am thankful to parents over the last seven years for teaching me more about parenting than I could read in a book. It is scary to me how much a parent directly impacts the academic success of their child. Accountability and independence is a hard balance to attain with adolescent students. I've learned what kind of parent I don't want to be and also the kind of parent I hope I can be someday. I've enjoyed the opportunity to experiment on other people's children for the last seven years, but am thankful God has blessed me with my own to experiment on in the coming years. Parents who have children who are self-motivated, self-controlled, intrinsically motivated, organized, and love to learn, certainly have an easier job. I'm praying for one of these children :).

No comments: