Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Update Part 4: Kansas City


We had a wedding in Kansas City on May 14 of a former student of mine whom I also coached and mentored. I was given a glimpse at what people who attended our wedding must have thought about how young we were (and how much we had to learn!) as they are only a year younger than we were when we got married. I am thankful we were able to celebrate their marriage (although the wedding/reception was made less than enjoyable thanks to our two little ladies).While in Kansas City we decided to take the girls to the zoo. We were here 5 years ago for our 5 year anniversary, so it was fun to go back. It was an unseasonably cold and windy day and many of the large exhibits were closed due to construction, but it still made good memories for our family.
Although I could post pictures of the hippos, elephants, tigers, zebra, leopards, cheetahs, peacocks, or a variety of Maddy's other favorites, I'll stick with the following assortment.
The lions:


This was baby rhino's first day on display. He was only a few months old and giddy to be out prancing in his new play area.

One of the animals Maddy really wanted to see was the "hop-a-roo." Not only did she want to see them, but begged all the way to the zoo to "hold a baby hoparoo."



Madelyn actually asked before we got to the zoo if we would be seeing a lemur. I told her I didn't know. As we came around the corner, she spotted this creature and said "A lemur!" Thank you Cat and the Hat for teaching her about lemurs. He came right up to the edge of the cage and eyed the girls' snacks.


The polar bear was the most active (probably because it was polar bear weather) and memorable creature at the zoo. In the morning he was pacing his "iceberg" but as we were leaving he put on his swimming routine to the delight of the spectators.
Dive in- Push off rock Take 3 steps with front paws only, push off rock


swim around the rock Explode into the air at the glass, inches from spectators

Push off glass and glide on back into the water. Very graceful!

No comments: