Saturday, May 31, 2008

Flooding In Ames

Weather in the last two weeks has been far too exciting for many people in Iowa. Farmers/researchers are pulling their hair out trying to get their crops planted. The people of the Parkersburg area are trying to figure out what to do now that half of their town was leveled with an EF-5 tornado. With the rains of Thursday night, Ames recorded a new record that beats the 1993 flood stage record...not one we wanted to repeat. The difference is water is already receding...until we get rain again next week.

The geese liked their new pond...



Normally this is a field of corn. The sign is a bit ironical.
Phone call anyone?
Our church league softball team occasionally plays on these fields...not for awhile.
You can see the water has receded a little bit from last night already.
This was taken on Highway 30 near the Duff avenue exit. Last night this road was closed. These are normally fields, with a soccer complex on the other side of the road. I think the trailer court you see in the background was spared.
So we will enjoy today as it is clear, sunny, and nearly 85 degrees. Gotta love Iowa weather.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness!!! Wow, that is pretty bad. I hope the trailer court was spared...those are our old digs and I feel for the people living there! Flooding was something that crossed my mind often.

Dan said...

Yikes! Hopefully no more rain soon!

I really liked looking at all your school photos. I could recognize a few faces which was very fun. Many have turned into some good looking kids! I hope your last few days weren't too sad.

Hopefully talk soon!
Rachelle