Thursday, March 12, 2009

Robins

I love spring, especially the return of the song birds. I forget how quiet it is outside until the birds return and remind me of their nearly constant chatter. With 70 degree weather last week and 7 degree temperatures this week, it is a wonder the birds decided to stay.
I love how God takes me on mental detours sometimes, so that I physically see the things he wants me to see. I was in my own little world on the drive back from picking Madelyn up from daycare and drove right by my usual turn. Instead I took the busier route and on that route I noticed a tree bubbling with energy. There were probably 50 or more robins chirping (I opened my window) and bouncing around in this one tree. Its branches spread out above two lanes of traffic and as cars passed underneath the branches the birds jumped around even more.
I'm glad I was a bit absent minded and took this detour to be reminded of the coming spring.
Then yesterday I was driving back from running errands and went by a park (De Bruin family- the park we took the infamous family picture) which was covered with birds. Hundreds (no I'm not exaggerating!) of robins and starling type birds were in the trees and covered the grounds of this park. I don't think I've ever seen such a gathering of robins. It was as if they had migrated together and were having one final party before they went their separate ways.
I love spring!

No comments: