Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Madelyn Turns 4




I"m 4 and I get to open my presents if I smile. :)

Madelyn had a birthday last week.  She insisted we called her "Birthday Girl" for the whole day and wouldn't respond to anything else.  We are blessed and challenged by Madelyn. I find much joy in seeing how this strong willed, stubborn, toddler is maturing into a compassionate, helpful, loving, little girl.  She is definitely a planner and organizer and doesn't do well when her plans are changed, unless she knows ahead of time and the reason for the change makes sense to her.  She is inquistive and curious about how things work and why they work that way.  For example, tonight she was trying to avoid sleep and asked "Does the water, milk, and juice we drink turn into pee?  What does our other food turn into? How does it turn into poop?"  After an extensive explanation of our digestive system she was satisfied, she still wanted more detail, but she'll have to wait until tomorrow. :)  We wished she would play independently more often as her constant chatter and need for human interation drives us a little crazy.  
 We did not have a big party for her, but strung the celebrations out over a couple of days.  Our neighbors who serve as our Macomb grandparent figures joined us on her actual birthday for Round 1.  The next day, Round 2, we had pizza and cake with Harper and her family.  Maddy and Harper are great friends who behave more like sisters.  The following day, Round 3,  my parents stopped on their way back home from Iowa and celebrated with us again.   She has one more celebration in Iowa with family in a couple of weeks. 
The weather was beautiful, so we opened presents on the deck while Jason grilled burgers. :)
 It is difficult to determine whose birthday it really is here.  Callie was having a really hard understanding that it was not her birthday too.  I explained to Madelyn that Callie was crying because she didn't understand why none of the presents weren't for her.  Madelyn jumped right in and said "She can open two of my presents and I will open the other two. I don't mind mom, really!"  She then proceeded to give Callie two presents and instructed her to open them carefully and reminded Callie that the actually present was really her birthday present.   I was amazed by Madelyn's generousity and the joy she had in making Callie happy.  Callie is still confused why the presents are not hers :)

Maddy insisted thate everyone where a birthday hat.
 She requested a carrot cake with pink and purple frosting.  I am not a cake decorator, nor creative, so I'm thankful she thinks carrot cake with colored cream cheese frosting is a special birthday treat.  After all, it really is about the candles!


Happy Family


We had a good laugh when we were looking through the pictures and discovered Callie had put her finger in her nose again!  Silly kid.

Harper and Madelyn are great friends. We are grateful for their family.

No comments: